CafeMom Tickers

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Making It Count: Week 6: Crayon Holder




It's Making it Count Tuesday! Every week, Pam and Sarah are co-hosting the Making it Count Tuesday link-up. Start with any one of those fabulous ideas you have found online. Then, do it. Make it. Cook it. Create it. Take it from the screen, give it life and let it bless your world. When you're done, snap a photo, write about it and share it with us. Make your time online count.


I love crayons, especially new ones.  I stock up at the beginning of the school year.  I buy at least 30 packs or more at $0.25.  I would hate to run out and have to pay full price.  My kids love to color.  They went through a color pencil phase last year but now we are back to crayons.  So, when I saw this at Mom's Crafty Space, I had to make it.  I searched every grocery store for the 50 calorie fruit cups.  No luck!  So, I had to buy them from Amazon for $23.  Luckily I had gift cards from Swagbucks.com and my kids loved the fruit.  I was able to make three, one for me and two to share.  It was just as easy to make three as one.  Here are my directions and tips.

1. First, eat the fruit.  The kids enjoyed this part of the process.


2. In order to clean the glue off the cans, I used Goo Gone.  


3. Then, I wiped the cans in vinegar.  I didn't do this with the first color, but the orange rubbed off.  And I read that if you rub the cans with vinegar, it lightly etches the can enough to hold the paint.  In some spots I had to apply extra paint but overall this did the trick.


4. Next, I painted the cans.  I used acrylic because I had all the colors. Spray paint would work as well, I just didn't have all the colors on hand.  Some colors only took three coats but the light colors like yellow and orange took more, so many I lost count.


5. When the painting is done, spray the cans with an acrylic glossy clear coat.  I did this three times.


6.  For the base my husband gave me a white composite that he had at work.  I used a 2 ft. piece.


7. Then we pre-drilled two holes in the bottom of the cans.


8.  I evenly spaced them and we screwed them in.  My husband helped with the first one, but he was unavailable the next day, so I did it myself.


9. Lastly, fill with crayons.  I used roughly 5-24 packs, although it would fit more.  I might go buy a 264 pack for some variety.


  
 
LOOK AT ALL THE PRETTY COLORS!
 
  
 
 

6 comments:

  1. This IS so fabulous!!! I love, love, love it and am going to have to make on. Thanks for linking it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! What a meticulous job you did! Who needs flowers on the table when you have this stunning and functional piece! Thank you for sharing...found you at Pam's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I am not the only one who buys 30 boxes of crayons at one time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My kids don't even like crayons much any more, but I love how this looks. I'm tempted to make one any way. Maybe they'll be re-inspired to use those crayons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! I bet your kids use the crayons even more now, right? I may have to do this, though we are definitely colored pencil fans here. And markers. Oh, how my little boy LOVES a good marker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty, you did a great job. I may have to make one too!

    ReplyDelete